If you’re looking for a new hobby and want to try painting, here are a few tips to help you decide if it’s the right hobby for you and how to get the most out of the experience.
1. Get to know what you’ll need. Stop by art stores on a weekly basis and check for sales on canvases and paints and see what you think you will enjoy doing (watercolor, acrylic). Most stores have monthly specials and just waiting a few weeks can end up saving you a lot of money.
2. Go to art museums and browse other art online. This helps inspire and focus your own talents.
3. Start with affordable materials. If you have no experience with painting, experiment with cheaper paints and brushes before you decide that this is the hobby for you. Unless you have a specific final painting you have that requires top-of-the-line materials, play around with more affordable items. When you switch to the better quality products, you will notice it and appreciate it more.
4. Be comfortable when you paint. Using an easel and a comfortable chair can help make your ideas more clear and will increase your patience while painting.
5. Be in the right mood. If you don’t want to paint but do, you’re probably not going to be happy with the outcome. Painting is an art and our emotions influence it directly. Use music as well. Plus, it will be much more enjoyable and can act as a stress reliever.
6. Give your art away. Painting something for a special friend. Have it match in a particular room in their house.
7. Upgrade as you can afford it. Research higher-quality brushes, canvases, and paints and buy new products as you can.
8. Invite friends to join. Making it a group activity can be fun. Two or more people drawing the same things ends up making an enjoyable experience and can even turn into a larger work of art.
Post by Kate Valdovinos.
SilverCensus is an unbiased senior living and health services resource where consumers are educated on options, facilities & rights. Our services are completely free for seniors and their caregivers as well as Hospital Case Managers & Social Workers who are committed to proper discharge. Clients include assisted living residences, rehabilitation facilities, skilled nursing homes, home health care agencies, HUD developments & independent living communities. We also provide free VA assistance for Veterans and their spouses. Our Care Managers are standing by 24/7 at 888-776-1311 or through the web at: SilverCensus.com