Finding the right assisted living facility to meet your health care needs and budget does not have to be difficult. Caregivers should consider all available options whether assistance needs to be brought in through home care, a group home or a home-like assisted living facility (ALF).
Here are some helpful tips to help you determine the “right” care for Mom or Dad.
- When at the Assisted Living Facility be honest and accurate, determine your physical, financial, mental and lifestyle needs.
- Do not rush. Visit as many facilities as possible to get a sense of the choices in your area.
- After your visits narrow down your selection to the top two or three choices, and return to those facilities to ask questions. Do not be shy, ask as many questions as need and make sure they are answered.
- Ask to review a copy of the Resident Agreement (facility contract).
- Ask to review the licensing or certification inspection report.
- Find out if there are complaints about the facilities you are interested in, call the Long Term Care Ombudsman program. Contact the ElderCare Locator at 1-800-677-1116 or eldercare.gov to find your local ombudsmen who are advocates for assisted living and nursing home residents.
- Show up unannounced to the facilities you are interested in for a visit. Talk with the residents and their family members about the facility.
- Ask what conditions or circumstances may result in the need to relocate or move to another facility.
- Ask what the baseline fee is and what services are included in that fee? Ask about additional chargers for services/products?
- Pick the facility that best suits your needs and realistically close enough for you to spend quality time with your loved one.
About Us and Assisted Living Facility
SilverCensus is an unbiased senior living and health services resource where consumers are educated on options, facilities & rights. Our services are completely free for seniors and their caregivers as well as Hospital Case Managers & Social Workers who are committed to proper discharge. Clients include assisted living residences, rehabilitation facilities, skilled nursing homes, home health care agencies, HUD senior housing & independent living communities. We also provide free VA assistance for Veterans and their spouses. Our Care Managers are available at 888-776-1311 or through the web at: http://www.SilverCensus.com.